The Cool Zone for kids!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cool Zone for kids!

The place for kids!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FINALLY! Competition entry final.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
El
Admin

Female Number of posts : 4606
Registration date : 2007-04-06

FINALLY! Competition entry final. Empty
PostSubject: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 3:15 am

Okay, here's Theories, the final copy before I enter it into the writing competition. Enjoy!

-x-

With infinite care, I peeled one eye open, then the other. The afternoon sun was low behind the tall trees surrounding me, and I guessed that it was almost sun-down.

My first recognition was that I was lying on my back, my left arm awkwardly placed behind my head, pain coursing through my shoulder and leg.

My only feelings were confusion and edginess as I turned my head slowly, as not to make the agonizing pain in my arm and leg worse. I was instantly absorbed with panic. There were tall trees surrounding the rock shelf that I was lying on, swaying in the gentle wind. Below me lay the ground, metres and metres’ drop from where I was. I bit the inside of my cheek, breathing heavily as I stared down at the tiny lake and exotic trees beneath, a wave of nausea rolling over me at the sight.

I turned my head the other way and the cold hand of fear gripped my heart. Lying next to me was my mother, her long, brown hair which had always been beautifully cared for, spread around her limp body. Her face was so pale it frightened me; the entire colour had drained from her lips. A long, red graze across her cheek contrasted starkly with her ghostly white face. As my eyes examined her slim figure, I gasped as I noticed the painfully awkward position of her leg, so unlike her neat and collected self, and knew that it was badly broken.

“Mum…?” I squeaked feebly.

The sense of terror and panic inside of me was so overpowering I could hardly think. I tried to take deeper breaths to calm myself, but they hitched in my throat hopelessly. I picked up her wrist closest to me, telling myself to calm down and see if I could feel a pulse. With two fingers, I felt for a rhythm, wondering helplessly what I would do if I could not find one. My heart fluttered in my chest as I felt around her wrist, now urgently. Nothing. “Mum… Mum…” I felt hot tears prickling under my eyelids as I realised what was at stake.

I couldn’t believe that just this morning I had been on a hiking trip with my mother, chatting at ease in each other’s company.

Then I was here.

I was lying on this rock shelf, not even five feet wide, a fall of what seemed like thousands of metres looming below me. Solid ground was, I guessed, more than ten metres above me; I had no hope of climbing back up the cliff face.

A salty tear trailed down my cheek. For the first time in my short-lived life, I realised I was truly alone. As I closed my eyes, willing sleep to overtake my stiff, weary body, I heard a shout. I don’t know if I was delirious or not, but I was positive that it was my father’s voice calling my name, and it was close.

“Aimee!”
Back to top Go down
El
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:21 am

C'mon guys, I need your advice here. Is it a competition winner?
Back to top Go down
Spooky
Admin
Spooky

Female Number of posts : 4997
Current Location : Why?....Are you stalking me?! o.O'
Humor : "Every fight is a food fight when you're a canibal"....What?
Hobbies : Things....Certain things....
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 3:17 pm

What?....Oh-the competition-paper-thingy!! Yeah, I knew that...'^^
I haven't exactly...read it yet....But I will when I get home! '^^
Back to top Go down
Batgirl
Admin
Batgirl

Female Number of posts : 11042
Current Location : Here.
Humor : Uh...moo?
Hobbies : ...Writing, reading, volunteering, and just doing stuff.
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 5:02 pm

Yeah, I'll read it later......so....tired....
Back to top Go down
El
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 10:33 am

Yeah, I know how you feel. I was like a zombie this morning. Neutral
Back to top Go down
El
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 am

-pokes board- Entering it today/ Neutral
Back to top Go down
Batgirl
Admin
Batgirl

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Hm......not bad. Way sad, and kind of just.....ends(I know that you have a limited amount of letters, so there's not much you could do about that), but still pretty good.
Back to top Go down
beast93boy
Great Member
beast93boy

Male Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2008-08-23

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 pm

It's good. Descriptive, nice range of vocabulary.

Sad story, but it's good. It leaves me wondering what happens at least. And if it leaves people wondering afterwards, then it's good!
Back to top Go down
Batgirl
Admin
Batgirl

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 3:35 am

Have you read the first version that El posted here? In my opinion, it's better, but it was too long for the competition she was entering it in.
Back to top Go down
El
Admin

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 3:44 am

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I'm a big fan of cliffhangers. Smile

I'm surprised that you liked my first one better, I actually prefer this one. Now that I think of it, it could be a follow-up to my first draft! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Devil_101
Devil_101

Female Number of posts : 1305
Current Location : England (the place where it rains all the time)
Hobbies : Fanfiction, reading, writting
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 14, 2008 9:58 pm

haha well done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FINALLY! Competition entry final.   FINALLY! Competition entry final. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FINALLY! Competition entry final.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Cool Zone for kids!-
Jump to: